COYO: Ideas & Roadmap

Preview content in COYO update notification emails

In our user base, we have many freelancers etc. that are not on the platform all day long.
Currently, the notifications are too generic to help them decide whether they've missed something relevant.
Instead of

"Hey Susanne Bartel,

There is 1 update you have not seen, yet. You have:

1 new private message"

etc. it would be great to see at least a few more details like:
1 new WIKI page "namexyz" in space ABC from....

You could also show new timeline entries, at least the first few rows. Should be pretty straightforward to develop, right?

Let me know if you have questions re. this request.

22 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Susanne Bartel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Under review  ·  AdminSven Hoffmann (Product Owner, COYO) responded  · 

Ok, I see your point. The current email notifications work for users that have COYO opened most of the times anyways. They don’t work well for users who visit COYO if something happened that need their attention.

We will have a closer look into this. So, if I git it right it would be sufficient to display more information about the notifications and new posts (e.g. what kind of notifications, excerpt of the post, source of the post etc.)

What about the private messages? Would be it be sufficient to just have the number of new private messages? From my point of view a private message is always something that needs my attention regardless of the actual content.

Any thoughts?

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alex Vukovic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important for us. In Coyo 3, there was a preview of the change, the reader of the email was able to decide whether to open it or not. Coyo 4 seems to be optimized to get more clicks in Coyo. But Coyo is not Facebook, we do not care about clicks. We care about optimizing information flow and reducing work to get information. The reduction of the email content from preview to nothing is a big increase in effort to get information and makes Coyo weak compared to other platforms like Confluence and Jira. Now the Confluence fans have an additional argument, why to move from Coyo to Confluence for all information sharing.

• Julia Berghoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If it is possible to show more information about who sent me a private message and what the topic is, from the perspective of our users that would absolutely make sense. Our users have so little time, they will rather not open the message if they do not see who sent it.

• Stefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Links in notification emails should directly have a link to the according page.
        For example a new article is posted in "News" then i should get a notification email with the link to the "News" page and not just the homepage.

Dear Susanne,
        thank you thank you thank you! I could not add one word. Just the same for us: WHO put WHICH TOPIC online on which SITE/WORKGROUP/FORUM? Otherwise frustrated users who see the notifications as spam as there is no value in this "surprise surprise, look what it is!". Talking notifications would give COYO a big plus in usage value - from our point of view. Thanks for a quick start!

• Susanne Bartel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Sven,
        during the last weeks I talked a lot with our user base. We are more of a networked organization with more than 250 freelancing coaches / trainers and people employed in their "home" organizations".
        Notifications are really killing us! Users get annoyed by the notifications as they do not get any idea of what is going on, plus if the open the app they have trouble finding the info and always have this nagging feeling of missing something important. This is severely impacting the usefulness of the platform.
        Yes, so what you suggested would be hugely helpful: " So, if I git it right it would be sufficient to display more information about the notifications and new posts (e.g. what kind of notifications, excerpt of the post, source of the post etc.)".
        For the private messages maybe add the sender ("You have 3 messages from Max Müller").
        If this is not meaningful for all of your customer segments, make it configurable.
        We'd be really happy if you could start working on that quickly.
        :)
        Susanne

• Steffen Knop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you!

Regarding the private messages I think its ok. There is also the possibility to implement the app with push-notifications.

Regarding the overall solution there could be many ways. A possibility could also be to implement push-notifications not only for private messages in the app. But both should show the content or a preview of it.

When we decided for Coyo we were told that notifications in Coyo 4 will work like in Coyo 3. Now its different and this is not what we need.

The result in a typical dialogue:
        User: "I have not seen this and this."
        "Why?"
        User: "I have switched off e-mail notifications. Useless."
        "And browser notifications?"
        User: "Getting on my nerves. Switched off."

Coyo works only if its always on. Please provide working notifications for user not being always on. Otherwise Coyo will fail in our company.

As discussed with Florian Lindenau and Felix Preuss: As an CIO association with 400 CIOs and over 800 IT managers we do urgently need notifications with author/topic/place. We are not in the position to force our members to actively use the plattform instead of using emails, we are a service provider to them. They read their notification and then decide whether to read the full article on Coyo. If the notification does not contain any information they will NOT use the plattform anymore because of their really scarce time. Long term consequence will be a massive loss of users for Coyo for us.

PS Agree to Steffen: People will not made curious about Coyo with a generic text, that - sorry - is absolutely not knowing business reality! People have hardly time, they need to get infos quick. As said, this will make our user NOT use Coyo anymore. For sure.

Absolutely agree. Our users are CIOs, CISO etc. They have so little time and need to see: Who posted what where. They will ignore generic notifications such as: Es gibt 2 neue Updates, die du bisher nicht gesehen hast: • 2 neue Benachrichtigungen , die auf dich warten.
        This means they will not use the platform.

If a user has new notifications and opens coyo, he has make up to 4 different clicks:
        - Klick in notifications
        - Klick in Activities
        - Klick in the pinnwand
        - Klick in private chat

Thats too much and we are often asked if this couldn´t be improved. In my opinion coyo notofications are working, but not very well.

Coyo promises to replace mail, but it doesn´t. For example: Native app notifications are only send for private chat messages. Nearly all user deactivate browser notifications. So the only way to be informed is mail. And the mail, I agree to Susanne, gives not enough informations.

To Sven: The goal is not to open Coyo. The goal is, that the users are informed.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Susanne, I know this function from IBM Connections and must say it doesnt work. People who dont use Social media dont take note of that email. Others dont habe a benefit

• AdminSven Hoffmann (Product Owner, COYO) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Susanne, from a technical point of view it would be possible to do that. But there were two reasons why we didn't:

1. Make the users more curious to actually open COYO and see what's new
        2. Some regulations of work councils of some of our customers

But let's see - if people like this idea and vote for it there might me something we can do :)

• Winfried Baier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Push email message to workspace members by a new entry.
        Is there a way that all members are automatically informed about their email address when a new entry is created in the workspace? The admin of a workspace should be able to create such an distribution list.

Feedback and Knowledge Base