Via the user community and a workshop which was held last week in our office in Hamburg we gathered some feedback regarding the launchpad. We would like to use the user community to document the feedback, open a discussion and keep you up to speed about the current status of the development.
Basically the launchpad has some good qualities: Customers like being able to administrate it and set global company bookmarks as well as having personal bookmarks, all of it independent from using a browser.
It also has some flaws - most of them having to do with a lack of good user experience and user interface:
- titles are cropped, the space is not used effectively, images take up to much space
- the current launchpad does not work well with large quantities of bookmarks: scrolling is slow, labels and icons are too codensed
- editing of bookmarks is tiring: the option is hard to find and having to change links can be tedious and has to be done manually without a search function. A bookmark that is assigned to multiple categories has to edited multiple times
- Some options (like editing) are very hard to find
- The launchpad is quite hidden which is the reason for many users not to use it
So, we gathered some ideas how to change that:
- Review the user interface and design in general
- Make the use of the launchpad easier (especially with many bookmarks): improve use and display of categories, add search and filters
- Make the launchpad easier to administrate (e.g. the edit button is way to difficiult to find, provide options to copy and move bookmarks)
- Add new ways to sort bookmarks for your need, make it possbile to create your own categories
- Create easier and more personal sorting options, allowing users to tailor the links to their needs
- Direct bookmarking when seeing an element in COYO, e.g. by having a bookmark icon on elements
- Integration with O365 apps
Let us know what you think about this proposal and we'll keep you updated about the progress.
Development of this feature started.
This will most likely finish in Q4 instead of Q3.
Looking forward to this improvement!
One think I would like to point out: I like the idea that you can bookmark any kind of content, but I think we might mix up two use cases:
a) I bookmark places I visit often (like my team community) and this bookmark is used as a quick link. (Launch pad)
b) I bookmark things I want to read later or just save it, so I do not have to search for it at a later point in time. I would highly welcome for this a "mark for later" function. And I would not like to see all these items on my launch pad, which would become even more messy.
Isabell Wenz commented
We definitely need the icons, cause we provide links to more than 30 of our websites and serveral internal tools in different categories. In this case the icons provide a good overview.
Drag´n drop ist also very needed to make sorting more easy.
If a wiki article, a content app or a form: I'd like to bookmark any kind of content with just one click. The bookmarked stuff should appear in an own widget or maybe in the launchpad.
Drag´n drop function would be very useful...at the moment it is very exhausting and time-consuming to sort the links.
Katja Lange commented
absolutely needed. ATM it is complete chaos and a lot of deleting and adding, when I want to sort links.
Jenny Claßen commented
I see the same problem, that the Launchpad does not provide a good overview. What do you think, would it be helpful in your cases that the users can choose their favourites from the managed links which then appear in their own link list? Due to my experience I would say that most of the users just need a few of the provided links.
See also: http://community.coyoapp.com/forums/306010-coyo/suggestions/33006775-user-can-choose-favourites-in-launchpad
Jenny Claßen commented
Like a few other users, I also see the problem to keep an overview in the Launchpad when you have several links there. Therefore, I would like to suggest, that the users can pick favourites from the managed categories which are then displayed in their own (private) link list at the top of the Launchpad.
Steffen Knop commented
The design of the launchpad could be improved alternatively: The text is cropped after a certain amount of letters, which is not very comfortable. There should be enough space in the launchpad not to crop it.
The possibility of adding an icon doesn´t make it better. In my experience in 95 percent this option will not be used (see screenshot above) and additionally the icons need a lot of space.
Using an accordion for the links in the launchpad. Its hard to keep an overview when there are many links in several categories. With an accordion you can hide and show the needed links.