COYO: Ideas & Roadmap

Add search operators (AND, OR)

When I enter "admin" & "HR" in the search, I get results that contain only "admin" or "hr". I want results for "amind AND hr". Sorry if I am wrong but it would be very good to improve the search.

36 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminSven Hoffmann (Product Owner, COYO) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good news! You can try this new feature on one of our test servers now and give us feedback if you like.

Visit https://search.branch.coyo4.com and login with username "rl" and password "demo". Please use the demo user only to create yourself an account here: https://search.branch.coyo4.com/admin/user-management/users/create and please do not change the password of this user.

• Christoph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just fyi: I wrote the request regarding the operators when search in Coyo 4 did not work well and the search treated "social media" as "social" or "media", so the results where ****. Coyo improved the search so I get the results for "social " and "media" first. Nevertheless, operators would be nice, especially to exclude something. Or to do be able to search terms like "team" AND "jobtitle" AND "....", but that would require a better connection of search and colleagues app.

• Sarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm with Christoph and Haydn, since all use Google, they are not used to do anything to get the results. And as discussed a few times "AND" is mostly the expected operator. For anything else a "expert mode" could do.

@Haydn: Agree. It should be the default beahviour, but sometimes you need to specify.

• Haydn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why should a user have to remember to use operators? If I search something like "Adam Smith" I expect to find colleagues called Adam Smith, not every colleague called Adam, followed by every colleague with a surname of Smith. This should be default behaviour, not a user instigated behaviour.

Probably not the right story, but we got the feedback that it would be much more useable and intuitive if the filters of the search should have ticks to select them. As filtering is learned via ticks.

• Josephine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on the search operators? Searching for two terms, doesn´t show the results with contain the two terms first.

Hey Sven, search works better now for 2 keywords (like "social media"). What still does not work at all is: brand name plus job title.

Hi Sven, thanks for the info. Jep if the search would work as you described (more than one keyword would always be treated like KW1 AND KW2 AND KW3) the operators would be more for power users.

• AdminSven Hoffmann (Product Owner, COYO) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Sarah and Christoph,

the search is actually taking this into consideration. If you type in two terms and then a result that matches both those terms will be ranked higher than one with only one of the terms. But there seem to be some problems with that for some specific results or for large amounts of results. We are looking going to look into that soon - for me it looks more like a bug right now, than like a problem with the overall search concept. But I totally agree - there seems to be something wrong.

As for the actual search operators: We are planning on implementing a lot of improvements on the search after Q2 and operators are going to be one of them. From my point of view (please correct me if I am wrong) the need for using operators is not that big anymore if the search ranks the results more properly. As I see it, operators are more a power user feature (as Sarah said).

Thanks Christoph! Actually I don't understand, why the search is not by default combining one or more search terms, but treating each term as individual query. I don't know any search, which works like that. The operators would help, but only sophisticated users. Normal users just give up. @Sven/Jan, could you as product owners explain, why the search is not combining two or more search terms in one query?

Sarah, unfortunately the search operators won't be implemented in Q1 and Q2 - that's what I was told. I also think that the operators are very, very important because the actual search does not work well with more than one keyword.I hope Coyo will implement the operators asap.

please give an update, if and when this feature will be implemented, same as wildcard. thanks!

Hello Jan, the operators would be a huge improvement of search. Right now, searches with more than one keyword result in too many false results. Would it be possible to integrate the operators sooner?

Feedback and Knowledge Base