I suggest…

Hide comments instead of deleting them

When a user deletes comments of another user (e.g. admin deletes reported content while using moderator mode) it would be great, if this comment was only hidden instead of being deleted completely. In this case questionable postings could be hidden from the normal users while admins could check whether it should be deleted or not. Plus, deleted comments could still be revisioned afterwards if necessary. It should therefore be possible to make a post visible again, too.

6 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nicole Pingel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminMarco Wilhelm (Product Manager, COYO) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey there!
    I wanted to let you know that we've just started to work on improving the deletion management of comments. As a first step, we're going to restrict the permission to delete comments to the author of the specific comment, admin(-s) of the affected area and moderator(-s). That way, normal users won't be able to just delete any comment under their own piece of content anymore.

• AdminSven Hoffmann (Product Manager, COYO) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Nicole, thanks for your answer and your feedback. Showing a message like "This comment has been deleted" would ensure that every user knows that there was an item that others might have answered to or referred to. Just deleting or hiding a comment might create a gap in the conversation.

I like the idea to just hide comments (in terms of a soft deletion), though. It makes revision much easier. We'll keep that in mind and think about it.

btw: discussing this topic in the user community has the advantage that other people could join in. If we would discuss this directly others would miss out ;)

• Nicole Pingel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Sven, the first part - that users are not longer able to delete every comment that has been made under their postings - is a good idea, I guess. Also I support the idea that users should be able to report comments.

But I don't really like your last suggestion to replace a deleted comment with "This comment has been deleted". As a moderator you could already do this today by editing the posting or comment and replace its content with that. My suggestion above was to add the option for moderators to make postings or comments that are not appropriate invisible to the normal user. In this case the questionable posting or comment would disappear for the normal users eye but it would still be there for the purpose of documentation and/or revision. If you want to discuss this further you are very welcome to contact me directly :-)

• AdminSven Hoffmann (Product Manager, COYO) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Nicole, we are thinking about removing the option for normal users to delete any comments under their post. This would only be possible for the author of the comment themselves or moderators. In addition we would like to make it possible to report comments specifically and not deleting the comment as such but replacing it with "This comment has been deleted" or something similar. What do you think?

@Jörg: Sorry, I didn't see your comment here. You are right, we changed this in version 11 which is already available on the cloud and will be shortly for on premise.

• Jörg Nau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please but don`t display this posting info:
    Der Blog-Artikel ist nicht einsehbar oder wurde gelöscht. Bitte kontaktiere den Verfasser xy für weitere Informationen.

Feedback and Knowledge Base