COYO: Ideas & Roadmap

Improve launchpad

Via the user community and a workshop which was held last week in our office in Hamburg we gathered some feedback regarding the launchpad. We would like to use the user community to document the feedback, open a discussion and keep you up to speed about the current status of the development.

Basically the launchpad has some good qualities: Customers like being able to administrate it and set global company bookmarks as well as having personal bookmarks, all of it independent from using a browser.

It also has some flaws - most of them having to do with a lack of good user experience and user interface:
- titles are cropped, the space is not used effectively, images take up to much space
- the current launchpad does not work well with large quantities of bookmarks: scrolling is slow, labels and icons are too codensed
- editing of bookmarks is tiring: the option is hard to find and having to change links can be tedious and has to be done manually without a search function. A bookmark that is assigned to multiple categories has to edited multiple times
- Some options (like editing) are very hard to find
- The launchpad is quite hidden which is the reason for many users not to use it

So, we gathered some ideas how to change that:
- Review the user interface and design in general
- Make the use of the launchpad easier (especially with many bookmarks): improve use and display of categories, add search and filters
- Make the launchpad easier to administrate (e.g. the edit button is way to difficiult to find, provide options to copy and move bookmarks)
- Add new ways to sort bookmarks for your need, make it possbile to create your own categories
- Create easier and more personal sorting options, allowing users to tailor the links to their needs
- Direct bookmarking when seeing an element in COYO, e.g. by having a bookmark icon on elements
- Integration with O365 apps

Let us know what you think about this proposal and we'll keep you updated about the progress.

29 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminSven Hoffmann (Product Owner, COYO) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminSven Hoffmann (Product Owner, COYO) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have got some bad news. Unfortunately we need to postpone this feature by 1 quarter. Our current estimations show that we won’t be able to deliver this feature in time. This is caused by a delay in providing releases from last quarter which was the result of unexpected complexity in the development and deployment process.

I am very sorry for everyone who is waiting for this feature.

• AdminSven Hoffmann (Product Owner, COYO) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Josephine,

yeah, that makes sense. We were planning on making it possible to assign bookmarks to multiple categories. That way one wouldn't need to alter a link in multiple categories if e.g. the URL changes.

Though, this wouldn't work if different admins could administrate different categories - if they change one bookmark that is assigned to multiple categories, he or she would alter the url for all categories.

Therefore we were thinking about just giving admins access to all categories and bookmarks.

• Josephine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Sven,

we´ve set up several bookmark categories for our different regions, units and companies. The categories are currently assigned to different admins. So the responsible colleagues can easily adjust the bookmarks within the category, once a link changes or a new link should be added.

I got a question that came up lately: Are you actually using the option to assign admins to launchpad categories so that those admins can manage the bookmarks within those categories?

Wouldn't it be sufficient to give those users permissions to manage bookmarks in general (via admin backend)? We are thinking of simplifying the administration of the launchpad by removing the feature to have specific admins per category. But we wouldn't do this if it were an important use case to you.

Thanks for the feedback!

@Sarah: there was short downtime since I had to copy the files around. Do you still have problems downloading the files?

@Ester: Thanks for your feedback - can you specify what you don't like about the new UI? Is it that too much changes in general? Is it the change from a dark to a bright scheme?

• esther commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the COYO Roadmap was an example for Q3 which I liked better.
        It is too much change with a completely new interface.
        The design doesn't match the intuitive interface of the user.

We got some updates on the launchpad and would like to present you the current version of the concept. We tried to consider most of your feedback and after multiple iterations we would like to propose the following.

Launchpad view: https://core.gocoyo.com/web/public-link/a86f9b32-6f1f-48ed-adfb-1f19b340e6a6/download

The launchpad will bet a completely new look that is brighter and appears much friendlier. Every bookmark gets more space so that titles and descriptions are not getting cropped. Users can still add their own bookmarks (which will be inserted to "My bookmarks") and can mark bookmarks as favorite. Favorite bookmarks are always on top and can be manually sorted by the users. Adding a search for the launchpad items should also help to find the bookmarks quickly even if their is a huge quatity of them. Additionally, there will be a category navigation in the left hand side for a better overview.

Administration: https://core.gocoyo.com/web/public-link/447d7f4b-69a5-46f6-95e1-7205a4abc505/download

The administration will mostly stay the same but will get two great improvements. For one, admins will be able to create the bookmarks within the admin area. Secondly, a bookmark can be added to multiple categories. This way the admin does not have to switch forth and back to the launchpad and the administration and can manage the same link for multiple categories (and therefore multiple user groups).

Create bookmarks: https://core.gocoyo.com/web/public-link/2094f655-f334-4907-a0af-e9ba57aae8f5/download

To make the launchpad look great in the result it is very important to add icons, titles and descriptions. At the moment, this is very time consuming task and with the update of the launchpad we would like to change this. As soon as a user or the admin provides the URL of the bookmark, the application will try to fetch all available information from the target and prefill the creation form. So, best case scenario will be that you provide the URL and COYO takes of the rest choosing an icon and setting the title and description. If this automatic task fails or you are not pleased with the result, you can still edit the settings and chose another icon / image (including the cropping tool).

Mobile first: https://core.gocoyo.com/web/public-link/8bfef05f-6201-4d9e-abcd-ba6257efabff/download

As always this feature will be available on mobile devices as well :)

Please let us know what you think! We hope that we were able to take all your feedback into consideration and we are excited about this new upcoming feature!

• Sarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking forward to this improvement!
        One think I would like to point out: I like the idea that you can bookmark any kind of content, but I think we might mix up two use cases:
        a) I bookmark places I visit often (like my team community) and this bookmark is used as a quick link. (Launch pad)
        b) I bookmark things I want to read later or just save it, so I do not have to search for it at a later point in time. I would highly welcome for this a "mark for later" function. And I would not like to see all these items on my launch pad, which would become even more messy.

• Isabell Wenz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We definitely need the icons, cause we provide links to more than 30 of our websites and serveral internal tools in different categories. In this case the icons provide a good overview.

Drag´n drop ist also very needed to make sorting more easy.

• Christoph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If a wiki article, a content app or a form: I'd like to bookmark any kind of content with just one click. The bookmarked stuff should appear in an own widget or maybe in the launchpad.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Drag´n drop function would be very useful...at the moment it is very exhausting and time-consuming to sort the links.

• Katja Lange commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

absolutely needed. ATM it is complete chaos and a lot of deleting and adding, when I want to sort links.

• Jenny Claßen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see the same problem, that the Launchpad does not provide a good overview. What do you think, would it be helpful in your cases that the users can choose their favourites from the managed links which then appear in their own link list? Due to my experience I would say that most of the users just need a few of the provided links.
        See also: http://community.coyoapp.com/forums/306010-coyo/suggestions/33006775-user-can-choose-favourites-in-launchpad

• Jenny Claßen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like a few other users, I also see the problem to keep an overview in the Launchpad when you have several links there. Therefore, I would like to suggest, that the users can pick favourites from the managed categories which are then displayed in their own (private) link list at the top of the Launchpad.

• Katja Lange commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The available space for the description of the links in the launch pad is too short, so that the name is chopped off. The space should be variable or the name should appear as a mouse over hover function.

• Steffen Knop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The design of the launchpad could be improved alternatively: The text is cropped after a certain amount of letters, which is not very comfortable. There should be enough space in the launchpad not to crop it.

The possibility of adding an icon doesn´t make it better. In my experience in 95 percent this option will not be used (see screenshot above) and additionally the icons need a lot of space.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using an accordion for the links in the launchpad. Its hard to keep an overview when there are many links in several categories. With an accordion you can hide and show the needed links.

Feedback and Knowledge Base