Via the user community and a workshop which was held last week in our office in Hamburg we gathered some feedback regarding the launchpad. We would like to use the user community to document the feedback, open a discussion and keep you up to speed about the current status of the development.
Basically the launchpad has some good qualities: Customers like being able to administrate it and set global company bookmarks as well as having personal bookmarks, all of it independent from using a browser.
It also has some flaws - most of them having to do with a lack of good user experience and user interface:
- titles are cropped, the space is not used effectively, images take up to much space
- the current launchpad does not work well with large quantities of bookmarks: scrolling is slow, labels and icons are too codensed
- editing of bookmarks is tiring: the option is hard to find and having to change links can be tedious and has to be done manually without a search function. A bookmark that is assigned to multiple categories has to edited multiple times
- Some options (like editing) are very hard to find
- The launchpad is quite hidden which is the reason for many users not to use it
So, we gathered some ideas how to change that:
- Review the user interface and design in general
- Make the use of the launchpad easier (especially with many bookmarks): improve use and display of categories, add search and filters
- Make the launchpad easier to administrate (e.g. the edit button is way to difficiult to find, provide options to copy and move bookmarks)
- Add new ways to sort bookmarks for your need, make it possbile to create your own categories
- Create easier and more personal sorting options, allowing users to tailor the links to their needs
- Direct bookmarking when seeing an element in COYO, e.g. by having a bookmark icon on elements
- Integration with O365 apps
Let us know what you think about this proposal and we'll keep you updated about the progress.
I’ve got some awesome news for you: our shiny new launchpad just went live to the cloud with version 20.X.X.
Besides a much more modern look & feel, the following aspects can be seen as the most obvious improvements:
- Gateway to O365: As part of our O365 integration, the most crucial O365 apps are integrated prominently into the launchpad so that users have those productivity tool always on hand.
- Administration of links:
- An icon and a title will be automatically suggested when adding a new link. Users can also get those auto suggested contents when editing an already existing link. As we’ve introduced a respective button into the top navigation bar, admins can add links to categories regardless of where those categories are placed in the launchpad.
- Users are provided with a category navigation in order to be able to explore and access all available links quickly.
- With the new layout, we’re able to show longer link titles (and even the underlying url). This in turn gives admins the possibility to describe “their” links in a far better way than before and it of course makes it easier for the user to distinguish links from one another.
- ‘Empty’ managed categories won’t be visible for normal users anymore.
- The new launchpad can be used much more comfortably on mobile devices compared to the former version.
Finally, I’d like to encourage all of you to check out the new launchpad intensively and of course let us know (via opening new suggestions!) what might be the next most important improvements in order to make our launchpad even more shiny in the future.
Drag´n drop function would be very useful...at the moment it is very exhausting and time-consuming to sort the links.
Katja Lange commented
absolutely needed. ATM it is complete chaos and a lot of deleting and adding, when I want to sort links.
Jan Marquardt commented
Admins should be able to add descriptions to the bookmarks in the launchpad.
Jenny Claßen commented
I see the same problem, that the Launchpad does not provide a good overview. What do you think, would it be helpful in your cases that the users can choose their favourites from the managed links which then appear in their own link list? Due to my experience I would say that most of the users just need a few of the provided links.
See also: http://community.coyoapp.com/forums/306010-coyo/suggestions/33006775-user-can-choose-favourites-in-launchpad
Jenny Claßen commented
Like a few other users, I also see the problem to keep an overview in the Launchpad when you have several links there. Therefore, I would like to suggest, that the users can pick favourites from the managed categories which are then displayed in their own (private) link list at the top of the Launchpad.
Katja Lange commented
The available space for the description of the links in the launch pad is too short, so that the name is chopped off. The space should be variable or the name should appear as a mouse over hover function.
Steffen Knop commented
The design of the launchpad could be improved alternatively: The text is cropped after a certain amount of letters, which is not very comfortable. There should be enough space in the launchpad not to crop it.
The possibility of adding an icon doesn´t make it better. In my experience in 95 percent this option will not be used (see screenshot above) and additionally the icons need a lot of space.
Using an accordion for the links in the launchpad. Its hard to keep an overview when there are many links in several categories. With an accordion you can hide and show the needed links.